Une belle aventure

Our new life in 'Les Vosges'


2 Comments

We built a home for our ducks

Our 4 new friends grew to their full adult size within 6 weeks, which meant that they outgrew their little enclosure very quickly. We needed to build them a new home. With the help of the ‘Bros’ (Jessy and Guillaume), we put together a little cabin and a nice pad!

Happy ducks!

img_0063 img_0074
As Jessy had the manitou and was in the mood for some digging, he helped us move the stone and gave the kids a few turns in it. They loved it. Who needs fun fairs when there are Manitou around!

Advertisements


Leave a comment

We worked on a couple of things (whilst these two, well…slept)

Spring does feel like a long time ago, especially as it is now Autumn. Looking back at the photographs I can see that in between trips to the Forest, we managed to do a few DIY jobs and we were still clearing the grounds from the storm of sep 2015. (We still have some more clearing to do…)
Most of the work in the bathroom is done (we just need to build some cupboards). As with everything, well problems appeared. Because it is not insulated, the condensation is terrible, which made the paint flakes! Arrgg. So more work…more tiling but it is not sorted.
I restored the old pharmacy cupboard and painted it yellow!

We finally started tiling the floor (18 month after purchasing the tiles, which everyone thought they were pizza boxes) – So no more pizza boxes in the corner Yay!
First of all we had to removed the linoleum, which had been glued on. This took a few days of scrapping and destroyed our fingers. (Cooper and Rhys helped)
Then Matt did the whole tiling and cutting and fitting and then we spent 4 days grouting. Such a tedious job. But it is done now!

Matt finished the wood panelling around the room.
img_0212


Leave a comment

On the House Front in December

Matt finished the step to the barn on the first floor. I think it looks brilliant and I am looking forward to doing the stone wall like the one in the kitchen. We are making use of the spare beams we now have.

IMG_5916

We cleared more of the back as the weather was so warm. It is such a massive task…..little by little.
IMG_5818

IMG_5817

Matt installed a water softener.
IMG_5914


Leave a comment

So Matt and a couple of friends finished cutting the wood, just in time for…

some wood delivery!
IMG_4659
I moved the left over from one barn to the next.
IMG_4617 IMG_4622
IMG_4620 IMG_4621
Jean-Pierre arrived just after that to deliver 12 steres. Today we have just had our last 3 steres delivered as I type…
IMG_4657 IMG_4662
IMG_4664
While we’re on the subject of wood, Matt was given 2 washing machine drums and decided to convert them into patio wood burners. They work pretty well.
IMG_4626 IMG_4523


Leave a comment

We needed a new door frame

When the builders made the doorway higher they obviously removed the door. So we needed to build something to replace the material. We have a lot of old oak beams laying around so we used some of them and have started to make ‘rustic’ looking door frames.
IMG_4086 IMG_4471 IMG_4475 IMG_4472 DSCF4018 DSCF4030
Still a lot of work to do but we like how it’s going to look. Furthermore spending as little as possible is what this all project is all about. Upcycling and Repurposing all the way.


Leave a comment

We tackled our boundary ….might involve burning some stuff…

IMG_2963 IMG_2964
So let’s pull all those trees and…..well burn it.
DSCF3216 DSCF3217
IMG_2965
While we also clear the clay and discover more treasures.
IMG_2966 IMG_2976

While Rhys plays with his mate.
DSCF3210 DSCF3207 DSCF3204

With some help from our favourite neighbours.

IMG_2967
IMG_2975 IMG_2974
And let’s spot a little neighbour while making the fire.
IMG_2978
IMG_2981 IMG_2982 IMG_2986
And it burnt for quite some time.
IMG_2987
We decided to upcycle our radiator pipes into our boundary fencing.
IMG_2991 IMG_2996
IMG_2997 IMG_3002
IMG_3001 IMG_3004

Matt also started clearing the field….by all weather…

IMG_3011
IMG_3012 IMG_3014
IMG_3016